« Back to Blog
Christmas. It’s the time of year when…
This is the ultimate advice checklist for how HR should deal with Christmas issues…
1. Employees sometimes do stupid stuff. At Christmas time and otherwise. It’s a fact of life.
2. Just deal with it.
3. Resist the urge to worry too much about vicarious liability, discrimination and constructive dismissal. Although it is probably a good idea not to put any mistletoe up in the office.
4. Resist the urge to write any sort of policy.
5. Resist the urge to put any sort of disclaimer about behaviour in any Christmas party related literature. If someone wants to punch Bob from Accounts on the dance floor after 12 pints of beer then they will do it anyway. See points 1 and 2.
6. Resist the urge to write special rules about absence from work after social events. See point 2.
7. Apply Christmas common sense.
8. Avoid sprouts in an office environment at all times. This is especially important in small or poorly ventilated offices.
9. Never, ever, buy Secret Santa presents from Ann Summers.
10. Put a tree up; Eat some Quality Street; Wear a Christmas jumper; and remember to enjoy yourself.